By: Larry Williams – Student in Sports Medicine & Fitness Technology program & Personal Fitness Trainer
There are many reasons that may cause you not to lose your desired weight. Two of the top reasons are you’re not exercising and you’re not eating right. Many people will go to the gym and walk on the treadmill, have a salad during a meal, and expect to be 5 pounds lighter by the morning.
To lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in over time; meaning you won’t lose weight by eating and doing light exercise. If you are a beginner and need to lose weight then you need to make a conscious decision to ramp up your exercise and eat smart on a consistent basis.
Here are my top 5 tips for success with exercise:
1. Dedicate yourself to exercising 5 days a week.
2. Exercise at a moderate to high intensity. (You need to sweat and push yourself!)
3. Dedicate 2 of the 5 days to cardiovascular training.
4. Dedicate 3 of the 5 days to resistance training and free weights.
5. Perform 4 sets of 10-12 repetitions, with less than 30 seconds’ rest between sets.
Here are my tips for eating healthy:
1. Eat 4-5 small meals a day.
2. Reduce your sugar intake.
3. Eat vegetables and fruit every day.
4. Avoid processed foods and foods that are high in salt content.
5. Avoid artificial sweeteners.
6. Drink plenty of water.
Dieting is more mental than anything because there will be days that you want to eat that cupcake or big greasy burger but you have to stay strong. Try to understand that losing weight will not happen overnight; fitness is a lifestyle and not a temporary fix to your health problems. There will be days that you will want to quit but remember that nothing in this world comes easy. When you are determined and stay strong, you succeed!