Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Program Objectives & Learning Outcomes
The program defines the following as program objectives and intended student learning outcomes for students enrolled in the MSN program
Objective 1: Critical thinkers who creatively engage in rational inquiry using nursing processes and current research to improve healthcare outcomes.
- Demonstrate comprehensive professional knowledge of current research to improve health care outcomes:
Competency: Identify strategies of scientific and mathematical research principles for practical healthcare application.
- Demonstrate comprehensive application of critical thinking using the nursing process:
Competency: Illustrate critical thinking to develop organized and systematic components of the nursing process.
- Demonstrate an ability to apply comprehensive professional knowledge of the nursing process:
Competency: Use the nursing process as a purposeful and goal-directed guideline for quality, individually-centered care.
Objective 2: Nursing professionals dedicated towards advancing a culture of professional excellence and achievement through lifelong learning.
- Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of the culture of professional excellence in nursing:
Competency: Promote the nursing culture of excellence in professional nursing practice.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive professional knowledge of nursing culture standards of excellence:
Competency: Integrate comprehension of nursing standards of excellence within the context of nursing skills and practice.
- Demonstrate the culture of professional nursing excellence achieved through life-long learning:
Competency: Recognize the need for the advancement of professional practice through contributions to education, administration, health care policy, and knowledge development.
Objective 3: Caring, culturally responsive communicators capable of effectively leading interdisciplinary healthcare teams.
- Demonstrate caring, culturally responsive leadership communication, capable of effectively leading interdisciplinary health care teams:
Competency: Apply knowledge of professional nursing leadership roles in the healthcare system.
- Demonstrate comprehensive professional leadership knowledge of efficient and effective interdisciplinary health care teams:
Competency: Articulate understanding of professional leadership in efficient and effective interdisciplinary healthcare teams.
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of culturally responsive communication:
Competency: Employ the nursing process as a purposeful and goal-directed guideline for quality, individually-centered care.
- Demonstrates effective communication using principles of disciplined writing:
Competency: Effectively communicates clearly and logically through written communication for professional delivery.
Objective 4: Nursing leaders prepared to assume leadership roles in healthcare systems.
- Demonstrate understanding of leadership roles for quality healthcare outcomes:
Competency: Cognizant knowledge of interprofessional healthcare leadership roles for quality healthcare outcomes.
- Demonstrate nursing leadership to facilitate interpersonal collaborations, conflict resolution and team-building in health care systems:
Competency: Ability to actively engage in leadership activities through intro-and inter-professional collaboration, conflict resolution and team-building in healthcare systems.
Objective 5: Ethically responsive nursing leaders who advocate influencing policy decisions to improve healthcare that is effective, timely, efficient and equitable for all members of society.
- Demonstrate understanding of competent ethical principles and values of nursing practice:
Competency: Translate a core set of competent nursing ethical values as a framework for healthcare practice.
- Demonstrate understanding of culturally relevant diversity in healthcare:
Competency: Define, design and implement culturally relevant healthcare for diverse populations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of ethical healthcare policy decision-making of all components of nursing practice in healthcare organizational systems.
Competency: Condense knowledge of ethical principles and standards of healthcare policy to synthesize into nursing scholarship and practice.
Objective 6: Effective collaborators of healthcare committed to improving best practices in health promotion, disease prevention, quality, safety and equality.
- Demonstrate comprehensive professional knowledge of best practices in health promotion and disease prevention:
Competency: Synthesize comprehensive knowledge of best nursing practice in specialized areas of health promotion and disease prevention.
- Demonstrate comprehensive professional nursing practice dedicated to lifelong scholarly collaboration and development for best practice:
Competency: Relate the comprehensive professional scholarly process through collaboration as a key component to the integration of best practice in healthcare.
- Demonstrate comprehensive professional knowledge to champion quality, safety, and equality in healthcare:
Competency: Assimilate comprehensive knowledge to secure quality, safety, and equality in healthcare systems.
Graduate Masters Writing Program Objective:
Students demonstrate professional communication skills in writing through organizing, thinking critically, and communicating ideas and information in documents and presentations.
- Communicates clearly and logically through written communication for professional delivery.
- Incorporates APA professional writing skills and standards including concise organization, grammar, references, and citations.
- Shows evidence of higher level thinking skills including application, analysis, making predictions, drawing inferences, cause and effect relationships, comparing and contrasting, evaluation, and synthesis.